Friday 29 July 2011

Dough modelling, ginger biscuits, tangrams and sudoku

As the local school holidays have started N has been out on her scooter meeting up with everyone in the afternoons and early evening. In between scootering we have been...

Making salt dough for modelling. Due to N's sensory issues the messy part inbetween using the spoon to mix and actually having the dough ready to model has to be done by me, but once it is in an unmessy dough N is well away.


 N decided to use a sponge to put her acrylic paint on to make the kebab really look like meat. Cool idea.
 Here are our almost finished models.
  • a pond with stones around and a fish in the middle
  • a flower
  • a kebab
  • a face
  • a plate of sausage, mash and giant peas
  • a plate of jacket potato and salad
  • a star

N made ginger biscuits and shared them out with her friends and neighbours.

Today I spent some time looking for tangrams to work on in maths with N. I found some great pdf files to print off of tangrams and example shapes to make with them. (Its supposed to be from ancient china and you always have to use all of the 7 shapes to make the tangrams) N wasn't enthused. She said she would rather be doing sums - as there didn't really seem to be a point to tangrams!! So much for finding something different to do!

She asked if I could teach her sudoku. I found some great online games for children to introduce them to it. When she comes in from scootering we shall give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. My eldest love all those maths puzzles, but my 6 year old just slumps back and says 'boring'.

    Mind you give her a wordsearch and she loves it! Not maths though.

    We've been looking at tessallations this week for maths. THat's been a lot of fun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, yes I was checking out your tessallations post the other day. One of the sites I can't run on my laptop as I don't have Java, but the other one I can and I will probably show that one to N next week. x

    ReplyDelete